Making an Impact in Ireland
Our Ireland manufacturing site is certified to ISO 14001 Environmental Management Systems and ISO 45001 Occupational Health and Safety Management Systems standards. All employees are encouraged to submit incidents, near misses, and good catches into our global incident management system.
- Optimization of a site glycol distribution system pumping controls has led to a reduction of 130,144 kWh in electrical power – equivalent to 1.5% of site usage and 42 metric tons of CO2.
- Optimization of a site HVAC temperature control strategy (thus eliminating heating and cooling conflicts) has led to a reduction of 696,792 kWh in site thermal energy usage – equivalent to 7% of the site’s natural gas usage and 144.1088 metric tons of CO2.
- Installation of a new hot water-condensing boiler close in size to its actual load, and rebalancing the hot water distribution to return as low a temperature as possible to the condensing boiler has led to a reduction of 1,081,105 kWh in site thermal energy usage – equivalent to 10% of the site’s natural gas usage and 204.342 metric tons of CO2.
- Optimization of HVAC supply fans to cell culture suites has led to a reduction of 121,000 kWh in site electrical energy use – equivalent to 1.46% of site usage and 39.2 metric tons of CO2.
- Installation of solar panels at our wastewater treatment plant area will allow us to produce clean energy on-site from Photovoltaic panels, leading to a reduction of 35,000 kwh in electrical power drawn from the grid, eliminating generation site grid losses equivalent to a reduction of 22.6 metric tons of CO2.
- As part of our commitment to site water reduction, installation of purified water generation systems with inbuilt water recovery systems, optimization of system backwashes, elimination of quench cooling, and installation of waterless urinals has led to a reduction of 13,503 m3 per year in site water usage.
- By subjecting all significant projects to energy-efficient design, we ensure the lowest possible energy usage.
- All of the site’s significant energy users are continuously tracked for out-of-trend usage.
- Weekly reports are generated to track site energy performance.
- We are committed to further energy reductions on-site by converting the entire facility to LED lighting in 2021.
- As part of the site energy management strategy, the Shanbally site is certified to ISO 50001.
- Achieved ISO 50001 certification for our Shanbally, Ireland, energy management system (EnMS) in 2017 and continue to maintain the accreditation to date.
- BioMarin’s EnMS provides a formal framework for reducing energy use that includes development of targets, regular audits, and review activities to ensure the EnMS is working.
- Energy use is one of the biggest contributors to greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions, and by implementing this EnMS, BioMarin’s Shanbally facility has optimized building systems and infrastructure to lower thermal and electrical energy usage and reduce its GHG emissions.
- Initiated a pilot energy reduction project that far exceeded its target 2% reduction goal of 350,000 kWh/year in 2020 by delivering over 1,800,000 kWh energy savings, representing 5x the targeted savings.
- Implemented training and information on chemical substances, hazardous substances and hazardous waste.
- Reduced water consumption and improved efficiency of water utilities, using computerized sensors and automatic isolation valves.
- Installed 10 solar panels, 4 electric vehicle (EV) car charging stations, and 4 solar powered traffic safety signs.
- We offer a variety of reduce, reuse, recycle, and composting programs throughout our facilities and prioritizes beneficial reuse, energy recovery, and reduction of waste to landfills, including:
- Recycling cardboard and reusable containers for bioprocessing materials.
- Engaging with an end of life and surplus asset management vendor to find sustainable outlets for assets no longer needed by BioMarin that still have useful lives.
- Donating surplus laboratory equipment to local schools and colleges in both the US and Ireland, and donating freezers for COVID-19 related vaccine distribution.
Diversity, Equity & Inclusion
We value diverse perspectives from a broad spectrum of backgrounds, education, personalities, skill sets, experiences, and knowledge.Learn More about Diversity, Equity & Inclusion at BioMarin ⌃
Our purpose is the patient. Our passion is the science.Learn More about BioMarin ⌃